Latitude 17N

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Explanation


OK, just in case you are wondering...the verse in my poem...

Now Thelma was a crazy girl

She surely was that grand

For once she stormed in the P.O.

With a rifle in her hand

Back in the day...my grandfather, Paul, worked for the post office. He had borrowed a rifle from one of his co-workers who Thelma knew really well. Being the crazy girl she is, she came up the post office steps with the rifle to return it. She kicked open the door, raised up the rifle and said "OK, this is a hold-up!" Well unknown to her the shift had changed and there were a bunch of people behind the counter that she didn't know. She didn't know what to do. They were scared and didn't know what to do either. So she just put it down on the floor and told them to return it to the owner. Haha. You can just imagine what would happen these days if that had happened. So anyway, my grandmother, Thelma Barlow is 89 years old today. And going strong. She goes for a long walk every day with her friend Betty who is a young 60 who she says walks her ass off. I believe her that it keeps her young. One of her secrets is to live each day as if it is your last because it could be. So the picture was Grammy and I on New Years Eve this past year which was only a little over a week after my grandfather died. OK, gotta go finish watching House.

1 Comments:

  • Great story! I have a few about my Mom and guns and I may blog them later.

    By Blogger drdubg, at 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home