Latitude 17N

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Countdown to Carino Nevis Triathlon 2007

Well it's that time of year again. Time for the Carino Nevis Triathlon. This year Jaime and I are both doing the Olympic distance race. This would be a 1500 meter swim, 40k (25 mile) bike and a 10k (6.2 mile) run. I am estimating a finish time somewhere around 3 to 3 1/2 hours. 3 being a really good time. 3 1/2 being an optimistic finish. I can probably do the swim in between 30 and 40 minutes depending on the seas. The bike will take me 1:30 - 2:00 depending on wind. My typical 10k race is just under an hour but since I will be coming off a bike after pedaling 25 miles and pedaling 25 miles after swimming almost a mile, I may not be running an optimal 10k. I'm in it to finish alive...not to win. Although I would like to have a good time since I have been training hard for this one. My friend Wendy (of Wendy's Deli) got hit by a bus on her training ride today. That is very scary. She cut her arm and got some stitches, banged up her shoulder and ankles and her hand is looking pretty much like a baseball glove right about now. She is hoping to recover enough to do the race on Sunday but if she can't she's been training for a 1/2 Ironman which will be in St. Croix in May. I'll keep my fingers crossed to see her out there on Sunday. We will also be having the kids triathlon on Sunday. Last Saturday was our last training session before the big race and sadly had our lightest turnout yet. Hopefully they will all show up on Sunday! We have a reporter from Triathlete magazine coming to cover the event this year which is exciting. What is not exciting is that we will have a light turnout this year due to the airline ticket prices going through the roof (Jaime and I had priced tickets for the end of March to come home and they were almost 700US for a ONE WAY ticket!!!). The World Cricket Cup is messing everything up. They are capitalizing as much as they can. Oh well, we'll still have about 40-50 people racing which is a lot! Well keep reading, I posted a lot on here tonight so keep scrolling down.......

1 Comments:

  • Tell Wendy that I hope she feels better. Those damn - nabit buses on the island need to buy into Caribbean time! I know we were almost hit many times. By chance, was it a green bus???

    On a different note, if the house we lived in on the island looked like the ones on the tour, we would never have left!!!!

    My training sucks right now! This weather stinks, and I am tired of running on the treadmill. I need a HUGE pep-talk, girlie!

    By Blogger Dr. Dusti, at 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home