Latitude 17N

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Julian's swim race




Today was Julian's last day of swimming lessons for the year. He will graduate up to the next level which will be the open swim level 5. For the end of the lessons his teacher, Nicole, organized a bunch of races for the kids to show off what they have learned. For Julian's group they did a total of 4 races. Julian did a great job and won the fourth race. His form has gotten really good and he is able to breath on both sides which I have found to be very important and very challenging. At the end of all of the races there was an awards ceremony where the kids all got ribbons for the winning of certain events (it "surprisingly" worked out that all kids got a ribbon for winning at least one event!), a certificate of completion and a medal. The woman who organizes and teaches the swimming classes does a great job with the kids. She teaches swim safety such as what to look for before going into the water like weather issues, dangers in the water, how to judge depth before diving etc. She teaches the kids without goggles so they can be comfortable without them in case they ever get into trouble they won't panic without their goggles. In the picture of the kids swimming Julian is the one in the front...you can only see his arm out of the water. That is the race he won. And yes, his hair is very long. Jaime told him he could grow it out until Christmas. I can't wait for Heather to get her scissors out!!!

Jaime and I did a mini training triathlon on Saturday. It was a 250 meter swim, 15k bike and 3k run. It was pretty windy and I was on my hybrid which was slow going. My swim was great...I was second out of the water right behind Jaime...but most of the fast people were off island so that is not a huge accomplishment for us although our swims have improved a lot. I came out of the water before the swim teacher which I was happy about. Once on the bike I slowed down and all the people who came out of the water after, me except for one, passed me. Oh well...it was still a good day of exercise for me. My run was slow too and I guess maybe it was the time. The race started at 3:00 which is a weird time for a race. All through my run I was burping up gasses from my Wendy's cobb salad that I had for lunch. Aren't you glad I got real personal in telling you all of that. You're welcome! Anyway, the race was small with only 8 or 10 people and I think I came in 3rd to last. Oh well...I'm poor and can't afford a nice fancy road bike so I'll just have to granny it until our money starts coming in instead of going out. OK, coming home on Friday! Excited about that!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home