Latitude 17N

Sunday, June 25, 2006

What did I do today?...I watched a funeral.

I went to the grocery store today and as I was leaving I noticed a bunch of Marines in the cemetary across the street. They were marching around and pretending to shoot their guns. A hearse and a long line of cars started filing into the cemetary so I pulled off the road to watch (and I wasn't alone in watching, there were cars all over the side of the road). How many times do you get to see a military funeral...and this is in Nevis! There were about 5 Marines in their dress blues. They marched over to the hearse and unloaded the casket and carried it over to the burial spot. I couldn't really see what happened at this point because there was a pile of dirt but I know they had an American Flag which they must have draped over the casket. They then filed out to the front of the cemetary where the bugle player went and stood off on his own and 3 of the others stood together with their guns and the other one stood in front of them with his sword. They stood this way for abut 10 minutes until it was time for the gun salute. At this point the swordman drew his sword and raised it in the air and then placed the tip on the ground, the other 3 raised their guns and shot. They repeated this two more times. Then the bugle player played taps. It was really neat to watch...sad as that might be. I don't know who this person was or how old they were but they got a really nice Marine Corps funeral right here in Nevis. That's not something you see every day.

1 Comments:

  • Was this the US Marines? Try to find out who got the funeral.

    By Blogger drdubg, at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home